Sunday 12 February 2012

Whitney Houston: The Greatest Loss Of All


I've always considered Mariah Carey as the best female vocalist of all time. However, it should be noted that it was Whitney Houston who was first introduced to the public and paved the way for the army of female vocalists that we have become accustomed to.

Instead of delivery the tragic news about the death of the legendary icon, I’m dedicating today’s post to her to show my respect and deepest condolences to every person affected by her untimely death.

She was a veteran at what she did. A woman with sex appeal yet never had the overtly sexual nature that most pop stars have or had. Her voice spanned generations and was unrivaled, until Mariah Carey debuted during the early 90's. She was the epitome of what a singer should be.

What made me respect Whitney was the fact that, just like Michael Jackson, she was consumed with love. She would always thank God for what he blessed her with and always spoke about the love that Jesus tucks us in.

Although Whitney dealt with her share of media backlash, such as her drug abuse and tumultuous marriage with Bobby Brown, which ravaged her career, she will always be remembered for her golden voice and heartfelt music. Nobody will be able to match the emotions I felt when I was in love, repeatedly playing “I Want To Run To You” until the CD was at risk of breaking. Nobody will be able to freeze me and send icy chills down my spine with her impeccable vocal performance on “I Will Always Love You”, with a tear-jerking lyric, “I hope life treats you kind, And I hope you have all you've dreamed of, And I wish you joy, and happiness, But above all this, I wish you love” before catapulting her vocals to mountain-peaking heights. Karaoke nights and wedding receptions will not be the same, knowing that the world has lost one of the greatest voices of all time. 



Besides her music, Whitney was also know for her outrageously witty, yet down-to-earth personality. Who could forget about her iconic Wendy Williams interview that resulted in the loss of Wendy's wig, after Houston snatched the raccoon off the woman's head and left her bald?  


She will forever be remembered as “The Voice”. Whitney, we love and thank you for your wonderful contributions to the entertainment industry. You depicted love stories that each one of us lived through and used your voice as an instrument that was able to vividly play out each event, churning out every ounce of your emotions. May you rest in peace and may you and Michael Jackson show God what he instilled in you – the gift to use your musical talents to spread the power of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment