Monday 26 March 2012

Justin Bieber - Boyfriend [Single Review]


Prepubescent teen Justin Bieber surely plans on staying in this industry longer than most intended. What better way to demonstrate this growth than by calling sex maniac Mike Posner and letting the paper-thin voiced pioneer handle production credits on his new single "Boyfriend".

Blasting off with a faux-rap over a pounding bass, Justin convincingly tries seducing a girl to join him and Mike for reasons to explicit to explain to my reader(s). Before the chorus kicks in, an eager beaver quickly attempts singing in an attempted falsetto over strummed guitar strings complimented by a whistle-like synths.

The results? Not a bad effort, minus the forced swag.

The song is vastly different from Justin’s previous releases and strives towards a more hip-pop sound than the cheesy teenybopper pop we’re used to hearing. But is that worth forgetting to add a strong melody and crescendo? I need my songs to be dramatic!

I guess not all of us are rhythmic listeners…

As much as it pains me to say, I actually enjoyed Justin’s albums. Sure, most were too poppy for me, but the albums had some great pop tracks (Never Let You Go, You Smile, Down To Earth, I could go on…) and his acoustic album slayed my soul. His next album should be more experimental, or Justin might just start becoming predictable. Ask Gaga what happened when this happened…

Mike Posner, stay away from songwriting if this is going to be the end result. We know you're better than this!

3.5/5

Anything that references Toy Story (“I can be your Buzz Lightyear, fly across the globe”)  gets an extra point from me!



No comments:

Post a Comment