Wednesday 22 June 2011

Katy Perry covers Fame, Politics and Body Image on Rolling Stone


It seems that Katy Perry is not only interested in flaunting her beautiful assets on the cover of Rolling Stone’s June issue. This time around, Katy is tackling issues, such as free health care (well, sort of).

The singer recently took Rolling Stone’s contributing editor Erik Hedegaard backstage at her California Dreams Tour for an interview, speaking about her ‘political awakening’.

"It just feels like the thing running our country is a bank, money," says Katy. "I know it sounds like an intense viewpoint, but I'm only slowly but surely getting the wool taken off my eyes. When I was a kid, I asked questions about my faith. Now I'm asking questions about the world."

She continues and points out America’s main priority, which we all know is fame: "I think we are largely in desperate need of revolutionary change in the way our mindset is. Our priority is fame, and people's wellness is way low. I saw this knowing full well that I'm a part of the problem. I'm playing the game, though I am trying to reroute. Anyway, not to get all politically divulging and introspective, but the fact that America doesn't have free health care drives me fucking absolutely crazy, and is so wrong."

Katy then reverts to speaking more about her breasts: "I started praying for [breasts] when I was, like, 11," she says. "And God answered that prayer above and beyond, by, like, 100 times, until I was like, 'Please, stop, God. I can't see my feet anymore. Please stop!' I was a lot more rectangular then. I didn't understand my body. Someone in sixth grade called me 'Over-the-shoulder boulder holder.' I didn't know I could use them. So, what I did was, I started taping them down. How long did I tape them down for? Probably until I was about 19. And, no, I don't have any psychological pain because of it." Be careful what you wish for, Katy! 

Not only are her gorgeous gems brought up in the interview, but also her success so far:  "Whenever people ask me about having bad reviews, I'm like, 'Have you seen the run I’ve had? Have you seen the numbers?'" she says. "Numbers do not lie!". At the same time, she recognizes that her music won't bring upon world peace. "I'm not a dummy," she says. "I know 'California Gurls' isn't going to save the world. But I got a lot of heart from my upbringing and I put a lot of heart in my songs.” We salute you for acknowledging that ‘California Gurls’ will not be included on Rolling Stone’s ‘100 Greatest Songs Ever Written’ list! 

She includes her latest obsession with the History Channel show ‘Ancient Aliens’: "Oh my God," she says. "When it talks about the sky people, how everyone comes from the sky and how the Pyramids were used for star observations, it's too much for me. It all seems to connect the dots. It's blowing my mind."

People often dismiss anything that involves pop stars rambling about politics. It's clear why they do so, as Katy’s point is vague and merely understandable. Rather stay getting them #1 singles, Katy



 


Source: [Rolling Stone] [The Prophet Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment