Monday 15 August 2011

Lil Wayne And Drake Release 'She Will', Announce Joint Album


Do any of you actually know that Lil Wayne has an upcoming album? I knew all along but with all the constant pushbacks, I almost lost track. After finally sizzling the charts up and exceeding expectations with his melodramatic single ‘How To Love’, the Young Money rapper is finally gearing up for the release of “Tha Cater IV” by releasing the next single, ‘She Will’.

The track features Weezy serving us with lot of clever metaphors (Devil on my shoulder, the lord as my witness/ So on my Libra scale, I’m weighing sins and forgiveness) before allowing Drake to deliver a catchy hook, per usual. ‘She Will’ is reminiscent of his single ‘Drop The World’, but seems more radio-friendly and darker, making for a great single that will do well on hip-hop radio and maybe crossover to pop radio thanks to the addition of Drake.

‘She Will’ does not enter any new territory, regarding the lyrics and production – however – this is the perfect way to return from releasing a top 5 single targeted towards women and big softies. This is how you handle a situation after many pushbacks – release great singles that target towards your established fan base (‘6 Foot 7 Foot’, ‘She Will’), yet enter a different territory to allow mainstream to anticipate the album (‘How To Love’).

In other news, Weezy and Drake will be the third rap duo to release a joint album. Drizzy himself revealed the idea of making a joint album with Weezy since January this year. "We still got to do that album," he said back then. "I heard some other guys are coming out with an album too. There's two other rappers that are coming out with an album together. ... I don't know where they got that idea ...". 

This follows releases of joint-albums by Eminem and Royce Da 5’9 (Bad Meets Evil), and Kanye West and Jay-Z, which is predicted to sell over 500,000 copies it’s first week. However, shade was thrown to the tenth power by Young Money CEO Birdman when he confirmed his awareness that Weezy and Drake would be compared to Kanye and Jay-Z. 

It’s older versus younger,” says Young Money head Brian ‘Baby’ Williams. “I listened to a few songs [off Watch the Throne] and it feels like an older feel to me. I think with Drake and Wayne, they young, they young cats. You got 23 and 28. Then you got Jay-Z and them, who are older and really on their way out the game.”

A thick piece of shade thrown and I love it! I hope Drizzy and Weezy snatch Kanye and Jay’s nappy wigs off. I was not absorbed into the hype of “Watch The Throne” and I know that it’s all about them stroking their already-huge egos.


Listen to the original version featuring Rick Ross


*puts ‘She Will’ on repeat*


No comments:

Post a Comment